Columbia University’s LGBTQIA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersexual, and asexual) group’s mission is to promote and stimulate activities for the LGBTQ community at Columbia University and throughout New York City. Our group seeks to become a place where people of diverse sexual and gender expressions feel free to generate discussion, facilitate the distribution of information on health, well-being, and working life at Columbia, as well as build camaraderie and friendship among the members of the community. All are welcome! Our group is based on the respect and celebration of diversity and many activities will focus on increasing visibility and enhancing LGBTQIA social opportunities. Although we are supported bythe Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (OPA), we also aim to reach out to all workers and undergraduate students in order to promote strong ties within the academic community and wish to expand professional life as part of LBGBTQIA community at Columbia. This way, people with the same affinity will find a safe place where they can express themselves and grow our community.
Principles and guidelines
Implementation of all activities described above requires some principles and guidelines from our growing number of members and the people who want to be part of this group:
- Respectful of all sexual preferences and gender expressions;
- Promote diversity and inclusiveness policies at Columbia University;
- Collaboration with other academies and LGBTQIA organizations in New York;
- Host and coordination social events;
- Inclusive and representative of the diversity found at Columbia University;
- To communicate relevant information about LGBTQIA communities to all our members.